Massaman Curry is probably one of the most popular Thai dishes amongst westerners, along with Green Curry & Pad Thai, it’s most defiantly up there! One of our close friends always asks Dear to cook him a Massaman curry, I think he enjoys massaman as much as I do ^_^
Thai Massaman paste is made with a wide range of ingredients including chilli’s, shallots, garlic, lemongrass, salt, galanga, shrimp paste, coriander seeds… it’s time consuming making the paste from scratch, we’ve found a store brought paste that does the job and has a real authentic Thai taste, Mae Ploy massaman paste is what we’ve used in this massaman recipe.
Thai Massaman does take a while to cook, about an hour, possibly more, there’s not much preparation to do though ☺
We hope you enjoy our recipe, we would love to know how you got on, or stuck with something? Let us know in the comment box below.
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil (vegetable oil)
- 4 potatoes (cut into chunks of 4 per potato)
- ½ onion (uncut)
- ½ a cinnamon stick
- 2 Star aniseeds
- 2 Bay leaves
- 4 Cloves
- Mae Ploy Massaman Curry paste (3 tablespoons)
- Beef (3 steaks) long strips
- Coconut milk (400ml)
- 1 teaspoon Tamarind sauce
- Teaspoon coconut oil (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar
- ) Heat the sunflower oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Add the massaman paste, and cook gently for 2-3 minutes and you will get a nice massaman curry smell, this indicates the curry is finished warming up. Put the pan to one side.
- ) Take a big pan and place the top half of the coconut milk (un-separated) into the pan, with a medium heat, add the masaman paste, and stir to boil. When you see the oil come to the surface of the curry, add the rest of the coconut milk in.
- ) Place two bowls of water to the pan & add the salt, cinnamon, cloves, star aniseeds, half onion & bay leafs, stirring occasionally bring to the boil.
- ) When the potatoes are done place the beef into the curry, also add the sugar & tamarind sauce, whilst turning the heat on a low to medium setting. Stirring occasionally, wait until the beef is done & serve with Thai jasmine rice.